The history of Kythnos is long, from Ancient Greece to today. We visit Kythnos during the "dark Middle Ages", with local rulers, intrigues and heroines!
Kythnos, like other Cycladic islands, was vulnerable to the attacks of the pirates and thus had forts surrounded by high stone walls. One of the fortified settlements is "Kastro" located to the north of Kythnos. Kastro is surrounded by its three sides by steep cliffs and is accessible through a fortified narrow passage from the fourth side. During the Venetian domination that began in 1207 the island was known as Thermi and Kastro was its capital.
The narrow path to Kastro in Kythnos
The island of Kythnos was known for its hot springs located on the southeastern coast of the island, near the village of Loutra. In the capital, Kastro, a Frankish fortress named The "Tower of Thermia" was built. The last Venetian ruler, Angelo Gozzadini, was overthrown by the Turks in 1617 using a dubious plot. The Turks sent a woman who claimed being in pain, asking to enter the capital. The guard's daughter showed petty to the woman and opened the gate allowing Turkish army to enter the city. This story has been reproduced to date in the Kythnian traditional island ballads. Later Kythnos became one of the first islands to fight Turkish occupation.
A stone built chapel in Kastro, Kythnos
Source of photos: https://www.experiencekythnos.gr/